On Friday Oct 14th, 32 Ottawa youth (ages 6 to 18) will dance to support their mental health. #DanceIsMyExpression is a night of youth choreographed dance in support of mental health.
The night will feature dance pieces choreographed by Ottawa youth between the ages of 6 and 18 that are expressive of something they wanted to share with the world. Dancing provides an outlet for these dancers; a way for them to communicate their emotions with the world.
These dancers have really done a fantastic job with their choreography. Their stories range from being in their happy place, to losing a grandparent, to bullying, to depression/suicidal thoughts, to friendship, to taking everything life throws at you.
Youth pieces have been choreographed in all styles of dancing including tap, jazz, hip hop, ballet, and contemporary. YTV host Carlos Bustamante will be preforming a special tap piece at the showcase.
The showcase is being held on Friday Oct 14th from 7pm to 9:30pm at St. Paul’s High School and all the proceeds from the event are going to the Paul Hansell Foundation.
Tickets are available at: www.danceismyexpression.eventbrite.ca
- Attend Dress Rehearsal (Saturday Oct 1st, 4:30pm to 6:30pm at Capital City Dance, Westgate Shopping Center)
- Interview dancers about their pieces
- Get video footage of dancers rehearsing
- Speak with Jolene Hansell, Vice President of the Paul Hansell Foundation.
- Attend the #DanceIsMyExpression Showcase (Friday October 14, 7pm to 9pm at St. Paul’s High School).
- Interview youth choreographers
Jolene Hansell, Vice President
Paul Hansell Foundation